Current Aircraft Restoration Projects
The Martin 4-333 restoration is complete
The Martin engine arrived in the gallery on October 30th. The delay was due to damage incurred which required a redesign of the oil cap and mount, attachment of the exhaust pipes, and coordinating transportation. A brief history of the engine is available in the museum for review.
Martin-333 Engine Restoration
During disassembly, the interior was noted to be pristine, suggesting the engine had never been run. Extensive scraping and sandblasting were required to remove the heavy oxidation and old paint. An area was found which permitted a computer match to its original color. Although the spark plugs look modern, they are consistent with the drawings in the GLMMC sales brochure. Similar looking lifting rings, oil cap, and exhausts were added, and a stand fabricated.
Our Volunteer Paint Crew at Work
Pictures by Richard Stanley @
Martin AM-1 Mauler
When the Museum was contacted by the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Fla., informing us that two Martin AM-1 Maulers in Texas were available for long-term loan and restoration, the Board of Directors approved travel for a team of 10 volunteers to Midland, Texas, for a two-week disassembly and subsequent transportation back to Middle River with the two Maulers.
With help from the Maryland Air National Guard, the airframes and components were offloaded into a Plant II storage area while accessible facilities were arranged to begin an extended restoration. Various sub-components have been brought back to factory condition, including extensive sheet metal work to replace unusable and damaged airframe areas.
The Museum’s intent is to take the best pieces of the two aircraft to bring a finished example of this rare Martin aircraft to full display condition. Much remains to accomplish, so volunteers are welcome to join this significant restoration project to bring another of Glenn Martin’s treasures back into public view.
The Martin MS-1
Following the WWI, the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics studied the possibility of an observation-scouting aircraft to be carried, launched, and recovered from a submarine. The Glenn L. Martin Company, then in Cleveland, Ohio, was asked to produce an aircraft. This was the MS-1, a fabric-coated, wooden biplane with a 3 cylinder radial engine of 60hp, a top speed of 100mph, and a range of 200 miles. The aircraft was to be carried in a pod on the submarine deck behind the conning tower. It would be assembled, the submarine would ballast itself until the deck was awash, and the plane launched. The MS-1 first flew in a trial in Lake Erie on November 5, 1923. Six were built. The program was cancelled in 1926, and the aircraft scrapped. Museum volunteers are reconstructing this plane from photos and some blueprints, and hope to have movable flight control surfaces.
As the restoration team has turned its attention to the Martin-333 engine, progress has slowed on the Mauler. The fuselage section was taken down to bare meal, primed, and received one top-coat. A second top-coat and Clear Coat are planned.
Our F-101B on the MRSA lot in the late 1990’s
The F-101B was designed as a fighter-interceptor against Russian nuclear bombers during the Cold War. The top speed was 1,134mph, with a range of 1500 miles. Armament was 4 AIM-4 air to air missiles. Our aircraft was acquired by the USAF in April 1960. It served with the Air Defense Command in Massachusetts, Maine, New York State, and Mississippi, and in 1969 was transferred to the ANG in Maine. In 1976 it went to Niagara Falls, and then Tyndall AFB. It was retired in August 1982. It arrived by barge in 1994, and has been restored in 2005 and 2012. There is currently extensive degradation on the top surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers which will be repaired as part of the current restoration. The plan is to restore it as it would have appeared with one its first assignment with the 60th FIS at Otis AFB, MA.