In the early 1920s the Navy was interested in having a scout plane that could be carried by a submarine. The Glenn L. Martin Company built 6 experimental aircraft designated as the MS-1, powered by a 3 cylinder 60hp engine with a range of 200 miles. The first flight was on Lake Erie on November 5, 1923. The program was cancelled by the Navy in 1925.
Working only from pictures and some drawings, a full size replica is being built from scratch, including the removable wings and fabric covering.