UH-1M Huey …..  Fast Facts  

 

  • The UH-1 Iroquois (unofficially, the Huey) is powered by a single turboshaft engine, with two-bladed main and tail rotors. The helicopter was developed by Bell Helicopter to meet US Army requirement for a medical evacuation and utility helicopter in 1952, and it first flew on 20 October 1956.

  • Ordered into production in March 1960, the UH-1 was the first turbine-powered helicopter to enter production for the United States military and more than 16,000 have been built. The US military was still flying some Hueys in 2016.

  • The first combat operation of the UH-1 was in the service of the US Army and Marine Corp during the Vietnam War. The original designation of HU-1 led to the helicopter's nickname of Huey.  In September 1962, the designation was changed to UH-1, but Huey remained in common use.  The official U.S. Army name, Iroquois, was almost never used in practice.

  • Approximately 7,013 UH-1 aircraft saw service in Vietnam, with 3,305 destroyed resulting in a loss of life of 1,074 pilots and 1,103 other crew members. 

  • The museum’s helicopter (serial number 66-15238) was delivered to the Army in 1967 as a UH-1C. It was later converted to a UH-1M gunship variant, with the installation of a more powerful engine. It was assigned to the 134th Assault Helicopter Company and flew 1315 missions in Viet Nam between June 1969 and November 1971.  It was shot down twice and repaired in theater. Gunships provide close air support for troops engaged in combat.  

  • The Hueys used for troop carriers and medivac were UH-1D and UH-1H models, which had a slightly longer cabin and could carry up to ten soldier plus four crew members.

  • Hueys also saw some use as utility helicopters with the US Navy and Air Force. In addition, the Huey has been used by the military of Germany, Japan, Australia and more than 60 other countries.

  • The museum’s Huey was donated by the Vietnam Veterans of America Baltimore Chapter 451 located at the Holabird Industrial Park.

Contact us:

GLMMAM

P.O. Box 5024

Middle River, MD 21220-0024

410-682-6122

martinmuseum@gmail.com

Visit us:

Martin State Airport

701 Wilson Pt. Road, Suite 531

Middle River,  MD 21220

OPEN - Wednesday to Saturday, 11 AM to 3 PM

Closed on Major Holidays

© 2019 by Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum