Martin 4-O-4 Skyliner   …..  Fast Facts  

 

  • The Martin 4-O-4 was the first truly “modern” airliner with a pressurized cabin.

  • Designed to be a replacement for the Douglas DC-3, the Martin Skyliner was the first post-war airliner design to reach production.

  • In all 103 were 4-O-4s were built by Glenn L. Martin Company between 1951 and 1953, at its Middle River Plant in Maryland.

  • Eastern Airlines had the largest fleet, with 60. The Martins of Eastern Airlines were primarily deployed along their eastern seaboard routs, and in Florida.

  • TWA operated 40 of the 4-O-4s.

  • Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, and the Doobie Brothers each used modified Martin 4-O-4s. Sinatra’s plane had a lounge area with a piano, a curved bar, a bedroom, and for night flights, an artificial moon and twinkling stars built into the ceiling. The exterior was pink with brown trim.

  • Visitors to the museum often remark how much more leg room the passengers of a 4-O-4 enjoyed compared to a modern jet airliner.

  • The museum’s Skyliner (S/n 14233/ N485A) has a manufacture date of October 15, 1952.  After its service with Eastern Airlines, the registration was changed to its current N259S.

  • It was delivered to Eastern Airlines on November 4, 1952.

  • In 2000 Mr. Manfred Leuthard of Classic Airways, agreed to donate his 4-O-4 to the museum. In turn, the museum covered the expenses of flying the 4-O-4 cross country; $30,000 was raised in four months for this flight. The arrival was covered by local TV and newspapers.

Contact us:

GLMMAM

P.O. Box 5024

Middle River, MD 21220-0024

410-682-6122

martinmuseum@gmail.com

Visit us:

Martin State Airport

701 Wilson Pt. Road, Suite 531

Middle River,  MD 21220

OPEN - Wednesday to Saturday, 11 AM to 3 PM

Closed on Major Holidays

© 2019 by Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum